Ferrari 512 S
Ferrari 512 S is the designation for 25 sports cars built in 1969–70, with five-litre 12-cylinder (“512”) engines, related to the Ferrari P sports prototypes. The V12-powered cars were entered in the 1970 International Championship for Makes by the factory Scuderia Ferrari and private teams.
Later that year, modified versions resembling their main competitor, the Porsche 917, were called Ferrari 512 M (for modificata). In the 1971 International Championship for Makes, the factory focused on the new Ferrari 312 PB and abandoned the 512 which was only entered by privateers. From 1972 onwards, the 512 (as the 917) was withdrawn from the world championship following a change in the regulations, and some 512s in private hands were entered in CanAm and Interserie races.
Put together in just three months by a team headed by Mauro Forghieri, the 512 S mounted an all-alloy V12 of almost five litres with four valves per cylinder.
The tubular spaceframe was developed from the P4 and the 612, while the bodywork was designed by Giacomo Caliri and made from polycarbonate for light weight.
Ferrari 512 S Technical Specifications
Year of Manufacture – 1970
|type||rear, longitudinal 60° V12|
|bore/stroke||87 x 70 mm|
|unitary displacement||416.13 cc|
|total displacement||4993.53 cc|
|compression ratio||11.5 : 1|
|maximum power||404 kW (550 hp) at 8500 rpm|
|power per litre||110 hp/l|
|valve actuation||twin overhead camshafts per bank, four valves per cylinder|
|fuel feed||Lucas indirect injection|
|ignition||electronic, single spark plug per cylinder|
|front suspension||independent, unequal-length wishbones, coil springs, telescopic shock absorbers, anti-roll bar|
|rear suspension||independent, unequal-length wishbones, coil springs, telescopic shock absorbers, anti-roll bar|
|transmission||5-speed + reverse|
|fuel tank||capacity 120 litres|
|type||two-seater spider, berlinetta|
|front track||1518 mm|
|rear track||1511 mm|
|weight||840 kg (dry)|
|top speed||340 km/h|
|acceleration 0-100 km/h||–|